Intro

I am Brian, and I watch a horror movie a day. Not because I am obsessive compulsive (well, I am, but that’s not why I do this, at least as far as you know), but because, well, why not? There are certainly worse things one could do every day. Like watch Law & Order, or smoke, or go to work.

But really, the reason is simple: I love horror movies. I have since I was a kid. My mom rented Texas Chain Saw Massacre for me when I was 6 years old. By my tenth birthday I had seen the entire Chainsaw series, plus all of the Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St, and Shocker movies (Yes, I know there was only one Shocker, but that’s the world’s problem, not mine). There is nothing else I liked when I was six that I still like now. Behold the power of gore, bad acting, and musical stings!!!

No one gets more passionate about a film genre than a horror fan. Who debates westerns? Where are the RomCom Cons? They don’t exist. But Horror cons are common, and why? Fans like talking the films. A real horror fan can talk about a film for hours on end, even if he didn’t like it. And to me, talking about the movie is just as fun, if not more so, than watching it.

But I can’t talk about it if I haven’t seen it.

Sometimes I would look at my DVDs and realize it had been weeks since I watched one. My Netflix discs, some of which shipped months before, would still be sealed. I had to remedy that.

So I decided, come hell or high water, from that day forward, I would watch a horror movie a day. More specifically, one I couldn’t discuss with another fan in any reasonable fashion, either because I had not seen it, or it had been so long since I had that I could no longer recall much about it. They wouldn’t all be classics. They wouldn’t all be obscure Italian movies. They certainly wouldn’t all be good. But they’d all be horror, and that was my only prerequisite.

This blog will be updated every day with my comments on whatever movie I chose that day. Ideally, folks who have seen it will add their own thoughts. As I do not always write full blown reviews, I’d like it to be the blog equivalent of discussing a movie with your friends after watching it. If you just saw a movie with your friend, you don’t turn to him and offer a plot synopsis. He’d think you were an idiot, or think you thought HE was an idiot and needed the plot recapped for him. Either way someone would be rightfully punched in the groin. No, after you see a movie with your friend, you’re more likely to turn to him and randomly shout out a quote, or poke fun at one of the performances, or whatever. That’s what I’d like to achieve here. As a result, one should not read the thread unless they’ve seen the movie. I write everything assuming you have seen it, and thus spoilers will be included and not marked as such. I will also not offer much in the way of a plot synopsis. The title of the film is the title of the thread. If you haven’t seen it, you probably don’t want to open the thread until you have. What kind of person wants to know how The Wolf Man ends before they have seen it?

(He dies.)

Enjoy!

39 comments:

  1. Hey I'm a n00b, found you from the blogger homepage. Just wanted to let you know I think you're brilliant and your writing style has me loling pretty consistently.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you! Please stick around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! I look forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and love the concept. I am not a huge horror buff but i have watched my share. As lore said, your writing is very good.

    hey, if i were looking for your thoughts on a specific movie how would i get there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If its reviewed here, you can find it from the search (at the top left), or by clicking on the genre (slasher, monster, vampire, whatever) and scrolling to see if I reviewed it yet. Keep in mind these are only movies I never saw before so if it's a big older movie like Saw 1-3 or Dawn of the Dead, there won't be a review.

    But you can also just ask what movie, the blog only represents about 1% of all the movies I've ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! Like Lore and Muckraker said, I found your site by accident and fell in love with your blog because a) Your writing is awesome (to say the least) and b) I'm a horror fan myself.

    Just curious, but what were your views on the "Childs Play" series?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks!

    I like the first 3 Childs Play... I think they were more fun when they tried to take the whole thing sort of serious. Bride of Chucky was OK, i liked some parts but for the most part i didn't care for it. And Seed was just a piece of shit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow thats weird, i only have watched 3 horror movies in my life and i hate them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wild..."Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (Classic Edition) had an indelible impression on me, too, but I was lots older at the time. I've been on the lookout for new stuff that delivers the same jolt for 25 years now. (Very little does, but still.) What a pleasure it is to see someone with some writing ability and a sense of humor go at such a project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool blog and a great idea. I just found out about it from Devin Feraci's Love Train #5 on chud. I've been a huge horror fan since seeing the Nightmare on Elm St films as a kid. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! Nice to have a fellow editor around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta say, I'm jealous. 1) Because you get to see a horror movie a day, and 2) because I wish I'd thought of the idea myself.

    You probably already know this, but the immutable truth with Horror is: there are way more bad movies out there than good ones. But what makes Horror special is that, even if it's bad, it's still probably fun to watch.

    Guess I'll start reading your posts now. Like you said, it's better than going to work.

    Rish Outfield

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog concept is a good one. I have a serious interest in this genre as well. I think there is nothing better than a great horror movie and nothing worse than a bad one, but even a bad one usually has some entertaining aspects to it. I just started a horror site called "Scare Fare" and am currently in the process of writing short reviews of my all time favorites. I enjoy having an avenue to share my thoughts on a film with other horror movie enthusiasts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so happy to find this blog. i'm a horror fanatic myself and i think it's safe to say that the amount of horror i watch averages out to about one movie a day (an 8-10 marathon is one of my favorite things to do.) hopefully i'll be able to chime in now and again on a film you've watched.

    today i watched "halloween 4" (again), "the cottage" and "inside."

    ReplyDelete
  15. wish i had found this sooner! glad you exist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome. By far my favorite genre, with an emphasis on the really disturbing stuff. Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi brian,

    love your blog. i'm a hardcore fan of the horror genre myself so i can really appreciate your blog. keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your blog, big horror fan myself even though I dont watch one every day. Hope to find alot of forgotten favourites here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brian,

    I am in. I just started my own horror blog and am totally inspired by you. Can't wait to read more of your reviews.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty solid reviews!! What do you think about all the reboots being done latley? I myslef love Rob Zombie's Halloweens. Being a hardcore Jason fan, I'm happy they're bringing him back into theatres, but just wish they didnt give that job to a tool like Michael Bay. Wish i could have got my hands on the rights to that one. I'm an indie filmmaker, with a specialty in horror. Check out my new upcoming ZOMBIE-STONER FLICK titled, Night of the Living Heads. We shot it in true guerilla-style with one camera and NO MONEY hahaha Tell me what you think. The website is nightofthelivingheads.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to email you about your blog but I can't seen to find an email address anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's FrightReviews@gmail.com. Weird, it used to be on the contact page.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this blog is a goldmine, keep up the good work dude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greetings, young man! I am inspired by anyone who picks out one thing and sticks to it! I have never written about a horror film (unless you consider THE BAT WHISPERS a horror film) but I may give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seriously, this is a service to the community. Love this blog, and you rock my socks off!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I usually don't get lucky stumbling around the internet but damn, this was a good find. Brian, if you read this, I've been the exact same way since I was six (actually before that - I had an easy-reader Edgar Allen Poe book) and I haven't changed a bit. I will definitely be checking this out regularly from now on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I read every comment! That's why it has the verification/approval thingie. Welcome aboard!

    I want to read an easy-reader Poe book for children.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha! You're fast too! Well, the book I have is a called a Step Up Classic - Tales of Terror. Published by Random House (yes I still have it). I'm sure you could find it online :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow your blog just made my freaking day!!
    I'm a huge horror movie lover (thanks, like you, to my mom), and I've been looking for somewhere that has a Lot of different horror movies.
    Thanks for the awesome blog, keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have also been a horror fan as long as I can remember. I was looking at your blog and I have to say I am quite inspired. I want to start my own blog dedicated to my love for horror. Can you give me any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Found your blog through a google search and I have to say you have a pretty awesome dedication to the genre. You're an inspiration to us horror nerds everywhere! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. "Yes, I know there was only one Shocker, but that’s the world’s problem, not mine"

    Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad I ran into this; I was trying to find out what camera the cinematographer in Brutal Massacre was using (no particular reason)and inadvertantly discovered your site. I find it quite inspiring! I'm a horror film fan (I even met gunnar Hanson in the Dawn of the Dead mall just outside of Pittsburgh in 92!) I'll definitely visit in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for giving Area 407 a review, Brian. This is just the kind of film I have been looking for. I have a weekly contest with a couple of my coworkers from DISH to see who can find the worst (best?) B movie. I think this found footage stinker has “winner” written all over it. I just added Area 407 to the top of my Blockbuster @Home rental queue, so I should have it mid week. The other guys have Blockbuster too, but with so many movies I doubt they would have come across this one.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello,

    Here is a music video from a DIY band, Vera Lynch - it is a tribute to horror doctors!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfT6VBq_1c

    ReplyDelete
  36. Me and my daughter love horror movies and have horror movie days, especially when it rains. I cant wait till she wakes up and I can share this new search save and watch forever site. Thank
    you largely

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello!

    Well, I did not love watching scary movies when I was 6 years old but I used to do so, against my will, because of my brother. He is a huge fan of these films and he saw to it that I followed his lead! We still enjoy horror productions together whenever we can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is a fascinating project. I look forward to reading all of your various reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google