FAQ

1. WHO ARE YOU?

I dunno, some guy. I love horror movies. Who cares? I will say I am kind of a wiseass and I have an odd sense of humor. I also tend to go off on tangents, and tangents on tangents. When you read these things, just imagine a guy at a bar next to you who’s had a few too many and doesn’t realize you’re not interested. But if you must know, my name is Brian, and I work as an editor of sorts out in Los Angeles

2. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

OK I know I am harsh on some films. But it’s just my honest opinion. I am no horror authority (if such a thing exists), nor have I ever taken any writing/journalism classes, so you shouldn’t even be taking me seriously anyway. I did however attend film school and thus I DO know how hard it is to make a film (and being lazy, it’s why I no longer do so). So while I may tear a film apart, I will refrain from insulting the filmmakers on a personal level (however, if the film shows a blatant lack of concern for anything but the desire to make a few bucks, all bets are off. See Drive Thru) . I liken it to when a friend of yours wears gets a bad tattoo, and you make fun of the tattoo, not him. Basically, “You’re ok, but that’s a really awful tattoo.” Same thing with a film. Sometimes a film just doesn’t work for whatever reason. Hell, the guy who made my favorite movie of all time (Halloween) also made one of the worst movies I have ever seen (Ghosts of Mars). At the end of the day, one thing everyone should remember is: EVERY movie, EVER made, is someone’s favorite movie. Yes, even Halloween: Resurrection. One guy’s opinion is simply that.

3. DO YOU REALLY WATCH A MOVIE EVERY DAY?

Yes! In fact, writing a review for each movie was something I came up with after about a month or so of daily movie watching. I don't just review a film a day, nor do I watch a few movies over the weekend and spread the reviews out over the week. Every day, at some point between 12:01 AM and 11:59 PM, I at least start a horror movie (sometimes I have to go see a movie that starts at 11 PM, obviously it wont be done until after 12). No exceptions, no cheating!

4. ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS FOREVER? WHAT IF YOU RUN OUT OF MOVIES?

Well, I doubt that's possible, what with a dozen hitting DVD every week. I think I'll stop when I need to watch Return to Horror High again. RtHH was the very first movie I watched for Horror Movie A Day, and I didn't write a review at the time. So when the day comes that I can't remember anything about it, I'll watch it, review it, and retire. I like coming full circle on things.

5. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE HORROR FILMS?

Halloween is my favorite piece of entertainment. Not just horror movie, not even just movie, it’s my favorite THING. It’s the film that made me stop just liking movies and instead want to be a part of them. Others include, in no order, Dawn of the Dead, Shocker, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, The Thing (1982), My Bloody Valentine, and Halloween 4. Since I watch these movies quite often, I will add reviews for those over time, they will be referred to as "Non Canon Reviews", as I will still have to watch a new movie on those days.

6. WHY DON’T YOU ASSIGN A LETTER GRADE OR A X OUT OF 10 SCORE?

Two reasons. One, not all of these are ‘reviews’ per se, instead more of just a sort of rambling about a movie in general. And two, a film’s merit should be pretty obvious from the comments. If I spend 10 paragraphs explaining what a colossal waste of time it is to watch Dead & Breakfast, is it really necessary to give it a D- or a 2/10? Also, I would score both Halloween and Silent Night Deadly Night an A+ or 10/10, but for entirely different reasons. But someone might not realize that and assume I think they are equals. We can’t have that.

7. HEY I NEVER SAW THIS MOVIE, YOU JUST SPOILED THE ENDING!

Guess you should have read the intro first. Once again, these aren’t reviews, nor are they summaries of the films. The idea is to make an internet equivalent of the conversation that occurs directly after watching the movie, as you would do with your real life friends. In other words: You should watch the film before reading the post. However, for newer films (i.e. ones that are in theaters), I will try to avoid spoilers or at least warn about them.

8. WHY ARE SOME MOVIES' GENRE LISTED AS 'CRAP'?

Crap is reserved for a movie that has no redeeming value. Theyre not 'so bad it's good', theyre just... well, crap. And you won't gain anything from watching it. Some movies are bad, such as The Roost, but not crap, because there is some stuff in there that's definitely worth your time.

9. WHY DO YOU HATE HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION SO MUCH?

Have you SEEN it?? Christ.

14 comments:

  1. I liken it to when a friend of yours wears gets a bad tattoo, and you make fun of the tattoo, not him. Basically, “You’re ok, but that’s a really awful tattoo.”

    I have heard this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BC...like you i love horror movies...I go to blockbuster or netflix and i go through horror and just pick something that seems interesting or something i can watch while i type on the comp. Than i give updates to my friends the day after about why the movie is great or just plain crap. Like Ice Spiders..i hate spiders so that is the only reason that movie was worth anything to me. Halloween was and is my favorite horror series...Yes even Halloween Ressurection and the reason why...well...tyra banks dies..ok i said it....but i'll send you some to watch and i'll continue to read your reviews so i can continue to flood my netflix Que with some high quality crap. Take care and AVPR didnt suck that bad....at least thats what i keep trying to tell myself.

    Kristian

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you have seen DANCE OF THE DEAD would you give it five skulls like tex did?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Ghoulish greetings from 365Halloween.com. I thought you and your fans, or heck, maybe just you would be interested in checking out our latest contest to win a FREE Horror Movie T-Shirt of your choice from FrightRags.
    Sounds awesome right? Well you'll have to show us your stuff and correctly guess what movies all three screencaps @ http://www.365halloween.com/news/fright-rags-horror-movie-shirts.php are.

    Posting up a link so everyone gets a chance would be awesome, or perhaps hoarding this precious info for yourself is more your thing? Either way thanks for checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude you fuckin HAVE to review Feast 3! Hated part 2? So did I (thought part 1 was one of the best horror flicks ever with a briliant atmosphere not seen since Halloween, so 2 was a big effing dissapointment), and my God man- part 3 is something else entirely, a whole new level of shit. There's a robot. A robot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brian... Love your blog which i just discovered. Like you, i am an avid movie watcher (808 movies for 2009 so far), but i watch all sorts of things, not just horror although it's a very big chunk of what i watch. Check http://www.RatingMovies.com. Went through a whole Cannibals and Luvio Fulci thing over the summer.

    I quickly searched through your blog though, and to my surprise... I can't see that you have ever watched Aftermath (Spain, 1994). Highly recommended. One of my personal favs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Halloween :) Normally I really hate classic horror because, y'know, I'm one of the generation raised on Hollywoo special effects and that. But Halloween really is an all-time classic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. john carpenter (a'la HALLOWEEN and THE THING) was, is, and will always be my director god. we seem to have similar taste in horror films-- i'm quite sure i will enjoy reading the rest of this site!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Brian. Just found you on here whilst searching for some answers regarding 'Back From Hell'. Just needed someone to explain to me what the hell was going on in it. One of those movies that has a great trailer but sucks big time! Anyway, yours was the review I first came across and I agree with everything you said about it. We are in disagreement about Halloween though. I'm not a big fan at all but I never did go in for all the slasher type horrors. Much more of a supernatural weirdness type horror fan. Fav horror has to be the 'Evil Dead'. All 3 (especially the third. Bruce Campbell is my hero). Was a little concerned about the remake but really loved the new version too. Will keep visiting this site and see what your horror films of the day are. Keep up the good work mate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geez, how can you hate Dead & Breakfast? It wasn't that bad. And what's up with all the Venom for Halloween Resurrection? I'll give you that it was a break from canon, but it's a lot more fun to watch than H20 or, well, pretty much anything after part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi
    I get a kick out of your site. You're funny. You had a great post that was something like, "So you want to be a horror blogger." There was some really good information. And now I can't find it. Would you be so kind as to post that link again, so I don't ask you the stupid questions you get asked every week? I'd really appreciate it. Until next time...keep those fires stoked.
    Eternally Yours
    Warden Stokely
    Warden Stokely Horrorzine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's this? http://badassdigest.com/2011/10/04/terror-tuesday-how-to-watch-a-horror-movie-a-day/

      Delete
    2. Gee, I appreciate you looking that up, but, alas it is not. I think the one I was looking for was posted as one of your "Horror Movie A Day Info." It was kind of like the bible of info, but shorter. Specifically, among other great info, it had how to request a prescreening. I think ya went through amazon or youtube or imdb. And you write a very nice letter to the production company, not the director. And see what happens. I saw how you can go through imdb and ck out "Coming Soon," but yours was more comprehensive I think. I Wanna say Amazon, but that doesn't seem right for some reason. Sound familiar? Oh yeah, and it had a black background, not white like the post above. I think you start by saying, "You hadn't written about this for awhile, so..." And the link name was " you want to be have a horror blog..." or something. And you said you're writing it cause people ask you the same questions every week..."

      Delete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google