The Demon (1979)

MARCH 23, 2007

GENRE: SLASHER, WEIRD
SOURCE: DVD (BUDGET PACK!!!)

The Demon has inspired me to add a new category to my subgenres: Weird. Also, while we're on the subject, I'd like to point out that, if you haven't noticed, you can click on a genre at the top or bottom of a review (where it says labels) and it'll bring up all the reviews for that sub-genre. Neat!

Anyway this is possibly one of the strangest movies I've seen in quite some time. For the first hour or so, there is not a single scene in the entire movie where I had any idea how it related to the scene before or after it. But then our main character is hilariously shot to death, and his plot threads/tangents end, allowing the movie to focus on a couple of broads, one of whom is dating a guy that looks suspiciously like Borat.

The final girl spends half the end battle topless. That has GOT to be a first. Can you imagine if Amy Steel ran around nude for the last 20 minutes of Friday the 13th 2? Can you imagine that?? I know I can. And do.

Mmm, Steel.

Anyway, back to The Demon. Since it stars Cameron Mitchell, it's a foregone conclusion that it's not going to be very good. But the baffling manner in which the movie unfolds makes it hard to completely dismiss. Also, the director's name is Percival Rubens. I cannot fathom the idea of a guy named Percival making an effective horror film.

Also, if anyone understands why the final girl empties a bottle of shampoo on the floor at the end, feel free to explain here.

What say you?

1 comment:

  1. I thought she was setting some kind of "Scooby Doo" trap for the bad guy, so that when the water hit him and he instinctively drew back he'd slip on the floor and crack his head, making him easier to stab. But then he just gets blinded by the water and they don't do anything with the shampoo. Like they forgot about it.

    What I want to know is, why--WHY--did she maker herself a poncho before doing that? Like she's suddenly shy now?

    Anyway, I love my 50 classics pack. This movie was a disappointment that turned into a wonderful surprise. The first part with Cam as a psychic got me into it, with hilarious bad acting from the kidnapped girl's parents. Then the movie lost me and I got reeeeeeaaaallly bored with all the driving around, dating, and ominous stalking scenes. But then once Cam got it between the eyes, the last 20 or 25 mins of the movie was intense, jaw-dropping, effectively thrilling stuff.

    Plus, as you say, TOPLESS FINAL GIRL. For a solid 15 mins. Amazing.

    This'll be my next review on mmmmmovies. I have some theories about it I think you'll find interesting.

    And btw--don't they have GUN CONTROL in England?

    ReplyDelete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google