The Food Of The Gods (1976)

SEPTEMBER 22, 2010

GENRE: MONSTER, PREDATOR
SOURCE: NETFLIX (INSTANT VIEW)

The great thing about The Food Of The Gods is that it doesn’t waste any time getting to what we’re there for – giant killer animals and insects killing people. While (admittedly better) movies like Kingdom of the Spiders and Day Of The Animals took a while to get to get going, FOTG gives us a death by giant wasp and a giant chicken attack in the first 10 minutes or so! And from then on, we never have to go more than 10 minutes without another attack of some sort.

The only problem with this is that I thought it would be like Frogs, with each death being caused by some other creature, but after this, and a brief attack (a bite, really) by giant maggots, it’s pretty much all rats. The wasps show up again later on, but the effects are so bad (and the scene plays completely without consequence) we might as well forget that one. Nothing against giant killer rats, mind you, but I liked the idea of variety, and we don’t get any of that after this first reel.

But it’s still a lot of goofy 70s fun, with the rats gorily killing a couple of guys and constantly swarming around houses and motorhomes and such. The effects won’t win any Oscars, but they’re still pretty good – the forced perspective and composite shots work quite well, for the most part. The models – not so much; there’s a kill at a little red car, the first one we see via rat, and it’s just laughably bad when they cut from the guy in the car being attacked by a giant rat head, to a little Matchbox (one that’s not even the same shade of red) with a few rats sniffing around it. But the gore delivers – I was actually pretty surprised how bloody this and two of the other kills got, considering the film’s PG rating and pre-splatter existence.

I also like that the hero was kind of a jackass. There’s a bit of a nod to Night of the Living Dead, with the hero constantly bickering with one of the other folks who have holed up in an isolated house, and like that film, it turns out the guy was right about some stuff, and had our hero not been so stubborn, there might have been a few more survivors. Ordinarily I don’t like this sort of thing, but since he was introduced as a football player despite the fact that he looks 40 years old (he was actually only 32 – guy doesn’t age very well) and not very built, I sort of became fascinated by the guy. THIS is our hero? But I just went with it. I particularly liked when one of the female survivors, out of nowhere, asks him to make love to her. Instead he just gives her some tongue and tells her that they will discuss it later. Again, this is not the sort of behavior I’m used to from my heroes. Tom Atkins would have punched this guy in the gut and then nailed that broad right then and there, killer rat or no.

I also didn’t care for the ending, but this is the fault of the sequel (Gnaw), not Bert I. Gordon or anyone else involved with the movie. See, the sequel is just another killer rat movie, which is fine – but the ending of THIS one promises giant cows and possibly giant schoolchildren (they are drinking tainted milk from cows who drank the same stuff that caused the rats/wasps/chickens to mutate). Where’s that movie? Has there ever been a giant killer cow movie? Christ we’ve had like 19 different giant killer insect movies, but no cow. Apparently, the HG Wells book on which this film is based does feature giant children, so there’s something.

This is actually my first Bert I. Gordon movie, not counting a couple MST3k episodes. I definitely want to see Empire of the Ants and Earth Vs The Spider, but what others do you fine people recommend (in the horror genre of course)? How do they compare to this? Also, I’d love to see a big budget modern day giant ____ movie, provided they don’t use CGI the entire time. The only one in the past decade that I can think of is Eight Legged Freaks, and I don’t want to think about that movie. And before people chime in – no water movies (Piranha), because we’ve had too many of those. Nor does Snakes On A Plane count, because they were normal snakes. I’m talking movies that take place on land, featuring giant versions of common animals/birds/insects. Come on Hollywood, let’s make this happen!

What say you?

13 comments:

  1. You know, there's a teazer poster kicking around from the '70s for an AIP "Food of the Gods" that was to have been produced by Ray Harryhausen. Never made. Is that what these guys thought they were signing up for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about the sequel. A dude turns into a giant mid-coitus (much like how I always imagined the Incredible Hulk getting it on), and there's a giant kid running around I think, then the usual "giant" rat stuff.

    The rats getting shot off the house in slow motion is what sticks with me the most from the original. Were they shooting rats with a bee-bee gun?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Infestation (2009) for some giant bug action? I thought it was quite a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, never mind on that last comment of mine, I see you have already seen it! The cursed search function strikes again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As did I! But it wasn't big screen (and they were aliens)... I'm sick of seeing these things at home! LOL. I want a big summer movie that's about giant, I dunno, cats. Why can't they do that?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to make the same observation: I think they're killing/maiming/hurting live rats in this movie. (Shooting them, drowning them, burning them, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, giant cats could be potentially awesome/terrifying! I mean, my normal-sized cats can be pretty scary when they're angry, so one that was ten times the size?! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I recall correctly, it was the second half of the H.G. Wells book "The Food Of The Gods" that features the giant kids. This film seems to have been made from the first half of the novel, with the second half hinted at during the closing moments. It seemed to me that they were intending to film the second half as a sequel that just never happened for whatever reason. However, there is a movie (and it may indeed be a Bert Gordon or even Ray Harryhausen effort) that was made in the late 60's (obviously prior to this film) called, I THINK "Village Of The Giants" based very loosely on the book's second half. Don't quote me for sure, but I think Ron Howard was involved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marjoe Gortner...that guy was awesome in the '70s. He got to nail the incredibly gorgeous Lynda Carter in "Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw". I know this because it had a big impact on my pre-pubescent years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep...Baby Marjoe himself. He was a high profile evangelist as a kid. He said his mom used to beat him and mentally abuse him when he didn't bilk people out of enough money. Before becoming an actor for real he did one last "crusade" and filmed it, exposing all the tricks of the trade. The doc was called "Marjoe". He played a great psycho in "Earthquake".

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a game with giant insects called Earth Defense Force 2017. It's actually part of a series, but those stayed in Europe and Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this film when it came out. My mom would not let me see it in the theater, but it quickly came out on Showtime and I think I watched it every time it popped up in rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Between 1977 and 1979, so I was 10 years old through 12, my parents would take me and my 2 siblings who were 2 and 3 years old to the movies in downtown L.A. Between 1977-79 I saw a lot of movies there, and many I don't remember. I remember seeing Carrie/Exorcist as a double feature and having to close my eyes through much of both movies. I saw Bruce Lee movies and other Kung Fu movies at the time as well. So many, not Star Wars, not Jaws, but just these 'other' movies, don't know why, but that were the kind...like "Dogs" and "They came from within". You know, those kind of movies, and there were 2,3 and sometimes 4 movies playing, all on Sunday afternoons, around 5pm or 6pm. I remember that. Food of the Gods was one of those films I saw. I found the movie creepy at that age, and so liked Marjoe as the hero! I just remember hit blowing up all those rats and having that smile on his face!!! Loved it! I haven't seen the movie in what, over 35 years, but still remember the feeling it gave me. A genuine horror flick with giant monsters(rodents). Yeah, if I see it today, it will be what it really was especially compared to today's cinema. Cheesey all the way. But, I will always love and hold this movie dear and it brings back memories of when I was that age in the late 1970's and my family and the experience of going to Downtown Los Angeles(we lived kinda close), and the feeling of being a kid again and being shaken and scared! Just part of a life.

    ReplyDelete

Movie & TV Show Preview Widget

Google